adventures of a girl named Erin

1.04.2006

Comedy at the Post Office

Okay, so it's really late the night before school starts up after winter break, I just got home from school (yeah, don't ask), I have a couple more things to do before going to bed, but I REALLY have to share this with you while it is fresh in my mind. Why? Because it will be quick and it is very comical.

So, this being my last day before I go into anti-social super-teacher mode, I figured I might as well take care of a few things during the daylight hours. So I went to the bank, I went to the store, and I went to the post office. I had a couple of thank-you notes to mail off to family, but I wanted to double check the postage on them because I had stuck some photos and other papers in them so I didn't know whether they would be too heavy.

I also had a little bubble-envelope package to mail off to my mama in Tucson, so I wanted to mail that out, too. =) So, I get to the Post Office by my school and wait for the next available clerk. The one who ushers me over is probably in his late-forties, early-fifties. I hand over the bright green package for my mom and explain that I would like that mailed. He takes a look at it, notices that it is decorated with all these hearts, etc. and reads, "To my mother... ahhhh..." in a tone of voice that says "This is so cute it's going to make me sick to my stomach." But I just smile sweetly.

He then comments on the fact that it is being mailed to Tucson, and am I from there originally? So I explain how, no, in fact I am from California but my mom moved to Tucson and I moved here to Chicago. At which point he was incredulous at my having moved to this sun-forsaken winterland from California but also began reminiscing about his experiences in San Francisco when he was stationed there during the Vietnam War, and is Haight-Ashbury still where all the freaks go, or is it cleaned up at all? And by the way, did you eant to ship this two-day or six-day because it's only a difference of sixty cents. Two day, please, as I continue smiling politely at his stories of California and agree, yes, it is lovely and sunny there are definitely not, here.

"So," he concludes, "I have to ask you. Why did you move here? It must have been a guy."

"Uh, no. Well, actually, it was a lot of people-- I teach, so you could say that my kids brought me here."

"Where do you teach?"

"Here in Cicero, at SFR school."

"What grades?"

"7th and 8th."

"Wow. What subjects?"

"Science and math."

"Wow. I mean, wow. You must have a lot of patience."

*smile politely* (I get that a lot.) "It is definitely trying-- they do keep you on your toes!"

"Well, that's just wonderful!"

[conversation continues about why I'm not teaching in a public school where there is need for science and math teachers and where I could get paid more and somehow the conversation winds down with:]

"Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Just to put these letters in the mail, thank you."

"Well, you take care and happy new year."

"Thank you! You too."

We shake hands politely and I walk out the door. Only when I had arrived at my school and walked into the classroom did I realize that I had not actually paid at all to mail my mom's package! I mean, he had put the postage on it and put it in the back, but I hadn't actually paid anything for it!

So, here's the poll:

Do I,
1) Go back to the post office and explain that I didn't pay and try to pay? or,
2) Accept this as a gift and go about my business. or,
3) Other. [explain.]

And a second poll, while we're at it:

This situation most likely occured because,
A) We were distracted by the conversation and didn't realize that the actually money transaction hadn't taken place. or,
B) He wanted to offer me this as a gift, because he had such profound respect for my occupation. or,
C) He was taken completely under my control with my new venom vapor that lets me go to stores without paying. Muah ha haaa... or,
D) Other. [explain.]

Oh man, I am still shaking my head about this one. =)

3 Comments:

  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger Quadfire said…

    Nice.
    I have to say that you Accept the gift and go about your business.

    Most likely it was a mistake, and he forgot to charge you because you were talking a lot. But I would like to hear more about this new venom power!!!

     
  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger MarcB said…

    I agree with quadfire...
    besides if it is already shipped then they will have no idea how much postage was on the package so you own't know how much it cost anyways and they will probably say don't worry about it.

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Erin!

    This is Melody from Gunn!
    i thought of you today and googled you and found your blog! it's been a long time! how are you doing? well, i can read it from your blog, but it'll be nice to hear from you! my email is: hu.melody@gmail.com

    Miss you!

    Mel

     

Post a Comment

<< Home